News Ticker

Community Planning Assistance for Wildfire Planning Application Process

Boise County Forests -Photo by Janet Juroch

Please share with your community connections.

Katie Lighthall
Coordinator, Western Region
National Cohesive Wildland Fire Strategy

My name is Benjamin Yellin. I am an associate planner with Wildfire Planning International and a member of the Community Planning Assistance for Wildfire (CPAW) team. CPAW provides technical consulting services in the form of land use planning, forestry expertise, mapping and risk assessment.

My CPAW colleagues, Molly Mowery (Wildfire Planning International) and Kimi Barrett (Headwaters Economics), have indicated that you may be interested in the CPAW application process. Please feel free to share this information with anyone that could be interested in the program and post it on your website.

We are excited to inform you that the 2016-2017 CPAW application process is now open. Applications can be accessed via the website:, and will be accepted until September 23, 2016, 5pm MT.

During the 2016-2017 cycle, five communities will be selected based on a competitive application process. Selected communities are not responsible for any direct costs associated with CPAW services provided, but staff time to participate is required. All advice and assistance given to the community will be limited to services that are intended to reduce the risk from wildfires. Local governments will retain sole authority for implementation of any land use planning recommendations provided through CPAW. Any community in the U.S. can apply, and eligible jurisdictions include towns, cities, or counties having authority over local land use and zoning decisions (unincorporated communities require county application). Only applications demonstrating support from both the community’s planning and fire departments will be considered.

Attached is an informational flyer to share with your colleagues.

If you have questions about the program or the application process, please contact me at or directly at 847-754-8745.

Best Regards,

Benjamin Yellin

Ben Yellin
Wildfire Planning International
(p) 847-754-8745

2 Comments on Community Planning Assistance for Wildfire Planning Application Process

  1. So how does this work? Do we need to send in an application as an individual? Or does the local
    Fire dept, city. or county send in an app.?
    It sounds like it would be a great idea for G.V. to have this info.

Comments are closed.